Welcome Everyone!

Remember to "click" on all pictures if you'd like to see them a little closer.

Monday, February 6, 2017

Rooted Love!

Hi everyone!

I'm really excited today to share with you, a layout, that I have done as a Guest Designer for Wild Whisper Designs.

Wild Whisper is a new Canadian company in the scrapbooking and papercrafting industry that just launched last November, 2016.  Heather and Suzy design their products and have them manufactured in Calgary, AB.  I fell in love with the rustic, unique flavor of their papers instantly... pure Canadiana at its best!

A new collection comes out every month and I'm really happy to share "Rooted Love", the new February collection, with you today!


This paper was great to use as a base for a mixed media layout.  It is very thick and strong.


I started out by designing my layout around the theme of a challenge that I wanted to enter it in.  Over at More Than Words this month, the theme is "Together" and you are also asked to use the ampersand "&" on the layout.  


I  used several of the journaling cards, to fussy cut images and sayings that I wanted to put on the layout.  I totally fell in love with the one that says "The greatest gift our parents gave us was each other".  This really fit the photo of my grandchildren that I wanted to use.  




Knowing that I wanted to title this "Roots and Wings" made the selection of paper easy. 

If you know that you're going to put a lot of layers of ink and mists on your layout, I would cover the top sheet in a coat of clear gesso to help the paper stand up to all the water.

Once the gesso is dry, ink or mist a stencil over top.


Next, you want to mat your photo with a variety of journaling cards that enhance it.  (The girls make it easy for you, because everything goes together SO well.)  A piece of scrap cardboard does an excellent job of lifting the mats up to give some depth to the layout.


At this point you want to choose paint and mist colours that are going to complement your layout and your photo.  

My photo had a lot of browns, yellows and greens in it, so I wanted to add more of that to the layout.  
Make samples of any embossing powders you are going to use.  It helps later on when you're trying to decide where to add it.  These two that I used are also Wild Whisper products:  Fractured Ice and Verdigris Sparkle.  You can see in the second photo above, that I also used a scrap piece to try out the colours I was thinking of using.... some of them got tossed once I saw them down on paper!

When making flowers that you want to coordinate with a mixed media layout, use some of the coordinating papers, such as this journaling card above.  Spray it with the same inks that you used in the body of the layout and cut out the flowers.  (This Spellbinder die by Donna Salzer called "Rose Creations" has always been one of my favorites.)


Glue some Fractured Ice embossing powder on the flower petals to take them "over the top"  (a versamark pen really makes this job easier).


These flowers are SO pretty in real life.


Making your own embellishments is very satisfying.  Wild Whisper has both chipboard pieces and wood veneered pieces.  These wooden feathers came from the Nature Mix.  

If you are going to paint them, put a base coat like White Crackle Texture Paste on first.  Then add your colour medium... Gelatoes were used here.  They are applied dry and then you smooth them out with a little water on a brush or your finger.


To finish them off, add some of the Verdigris Sparkle embossing powder here and there.  Other embellishments used on the dream catcher, were wooden veneer hearts and cork heart confetti.


I'm going to show you the layout again, while I briefly explain how you can create a background like this.   After you ink a stencil over top of the paper, add different layers like another stencil using texture paste.  (I used a heart stencil from Heidi Swapp.)  Things like the border of cork hearts add another layer of visual texture.  Glue down your photos and embellishments.  Add colour with mediums like gelatoes, mists, watercolour paints.  Glue down art stones and cork hearts for texture.  Add some Fractured Ice embossing powder over and around the art stones.  Spray some coloured mists over the whole layout... alternate between misting and shaking droplets on it.   (Protect your photo first!)   Water down white gesso and using a paint brush, splash the whole layout . 

Doing a mixed media layout can seem intimidating, but just have fun with it.  If you don't like something, you can always paint over it with white gesso and start again!  Making yourself sample cards of the materials you are thinking of using, really helps to prevent errors in colour choice.

I hope I've inspired you to check out Wild Whisper Designs, and maybe try a mixed media layout too!  I will be back later in the month with a second project for Wild Whisper... and you never know I might sneak some cards in too this month.  :)  Hope you'll check back to see more.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Linda








10 comments:

  1. A fabulous photo & you have scrapped it perfectly Linda. Thanks for playing along with us at More Than Words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the "Roots & Wings" title! What a wonderful, happy page. So glad you could join us at More Than Words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh so soft and beautiful. Thanks for joining us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, your page is like an illustration to the book of fairy tales! The real magic is happening on her! Wonderful, very soft palette!
    Thanks for joining in at More Than Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. These papers are beautiful! And so is your layout! Love it! Thank you for playing along with us at More Than Words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous layout!! And I love the papers!! Being Canadian you'd think I would have sniffed these out but alas I missed them! Now I know! You did an awesome job! All the best from MTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This little dream catcher you made is totally gorgeous! Your layout is beautiful thought! Thanks for joining at More than words

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this layout! so much texture and so many layers! It's stunning and the feathers look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of an incredible sweetness, thank you to play with us on more than words

    ReplyDelete
  10. So soft and beautiful.Thanks for joining us at "More than words" challenge

    ReplyDelete