Welcome Everyone!

Remember to "click" on all pictures if you'd like to see them a little closer.

Friday, June 9, 2017

GIU Girl - Day 5 - Winner Update

Hi there!

* WINNER update:  The two lucky winners of the Unity stamp packages are:  Anne Muggaberg, and Tricia Moore.  CONGRATULATIONS!  Thanks to everyone who participated and left such lovely comments!

Day 5!  Can you believe it!  How quickly a week goes!



So when I was trying to pick which of the many ideas were whirling in my head for a last project, I got thinking about what first drew me to Unity.

It was the videos, they were short, they were cool, and they were ideas that I thought I might actually be able to do.

Gradually as I watched them, I began to realize how awesome the stamps were and I started digging around the internet... looking for these "Unity" people... and when I found them, I was hooked!

So for this project, I went back to the beginning and started with a video.  Heather Hoffman shares in it a quick easy technique on how to watercolour using Distress Inks.

Like everyone else, I've got the new Distress Oxide inks in my hot, little hands, so I used them in exactly the same way that Heather shows with the regular Distress Inks.  The technique was so quick, easy and fun!!!


To start with, it looks like a hot mess!


Add some water with a misting bottle and it becomes magical.  I wanted more purple on the one above, so I just took the purple ink pad while the paper was still wet, dabbed it on and misted some more.


This was the end result.  I was trying out several different flowers, which I then fussy cut and used some of them on my page.  

I did my stamping on Strathmore Cold Press Watercolor paper with Potting Soil Archival Ink.  The paper gave the flowers texture and it was strong enough to stand up to some distressing.  The flowers that I ended up using on my project came from the following kits:  April 2014 Botanical Bliss KOM, and November 2016 Midnight Kisses KOM.  The beautiful dragonfly and sentiment are from a set called "Be the Best".


The picture above shows how I gave some dimension to the flowers by layering them and distressing the edges a small amount.  I also tucked one of them under the stamped image.  You can see how I created the space to do that in the photo below.  That's a piece of foam, just like I used in yesterday's project, only cut smaller.  Doing this also allowed me to tuck the ribbon underneath, here and there.  

The cute paper I used for this project, is Wild Whisper Designs "World's Best".  Wild Whisper Designs is a new Canadian paper crafting company based out of Calgary that I just love.  I've gotten to know Heather and Suzy, the designers and I really respect their work and creativity!  Their imagination knows no limits.


Back to Unity Stamps... the other thing that drew me to them is that they are so up-lifting, positive and full of gratitude and other affirmations.  I realized their stamps would make me happy looking at them on a daily basis... so this project is a little flip binder that can sit on the counter and be enjoyed every day.  I added large binder rings to it, because I intend on adding more pages to it!



And so my week comes to a close!

On Monday, I said I would draw the names for the prize packages on Saturday, but I decided that maybe there were those who like to do their browsing on the weekend, so instead I will draw the names Monday morning (early).

To be eligible for the two draws, you just need to comment on each of my blog posts during my GIU week.  If you missed Day 1 etc, you can still go back and see it and comment to win.  Two grab bags of 25 Unity Stamps will be going home with a couple of lucky winners!! 

Thank you for making this such an enjoyable week for me!  It was fun reading everyones' comments and for those that I can find an email for, I will reply back to you over the weekend.

Remember to always make time for crafting!

Linda






27 comments:

  1. Wow another stunning design. Love the various flowers, but especially liked the use of the oxide inks, the blend of colors was beautiful. Thank you for a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, i loved all of your cards this week, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat idea!! I love the technique you did with the distress oxide inks. So fun! I'm obsessed with my regular distress inks, I haven't been able to find the oxides yet. I like that it's like an inspiration piece of art that you can have sitting on a desk or somewhere and flip for different inspirations and displays. Thanks for sharing all your fun projects this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed your projects this week but think this is my favorite. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so going to try this!! What a great idea! Inspiration = creativity!! Thank you! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really enjoyed your week.. Lots of inspiration! Thank you Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these colors.... you've done a Fabulous job this week! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's exactly what brought me to Unity too. Thank you for bringing that beauty back. Thank you so much for sharing. Your talent is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanx for sharing this week....lovely projects

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your great projects this week! This one is so beautiful with the the soft blues and purples! I love that dragonfly but have yet to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty technique and colors. Thanks for showing the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea this is to make a binder you can flip every day if you want! I have the "Be the Best" set; it's really beautiful and so perfect for any type of mixed media, for anything! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I especially like the purples you used. What a fresh, springy look :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you went back to the beginning for this one. Lovely lovely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also a fan of the quick tip videos. Your card is beautiful, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful card! Thanks for sharing Heather's video and showing us what you did! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so pretty! Great color combo! Love the flowers and dragonfly!
    Thanks for a wonderful GIU week. I have enjoyed all of your lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice color combination! I love this simple technique. Thanks for showing step by step pictures. It's been a fun week following your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here I am saying "beautiful" again! I love this technique and the stamps/flowers are so pretty. I'm off to my mini distress inks to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the way you used the inks for creating a water colour effect! Now I want to try it out :) Thanks for sharing your amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. Amazing. Makes me REALLY want those oxides!! 😍 Angie VerDuin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful project. I love the water color look

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Linda....this is beautiful! I love unity stamps too....thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete